Monday, September 04, 2006

Lisp for Mac Users

Here's what I found for Lisp on Mac OS X.

Install Darwin Ports, which is a really useful thing to have handy anyway, to install a lot of Linux ports.

Then open up a terminal and type "sudo port install sbcl" if you are using an Intel Mac, or "sudo port install clisp" if you are using a PPC Mac. SBCL is available for both PPC and Intel, and CLISP is available for PPC only right now, and CLISP is what most of the class will probably be using in Linux/Windows.

Right now the Xemacs site is down, but if it gets back up and you want to, you can do a "sudo port install xemacs" (but make sure you have Apple's optional X11 installed from your Mac install DVD). And you can also do a "sudo port install slime" to install a lisp thing for emacs, and get it configured.

All that I have done, however, is install SBCL. And I'm editing my "defuns" using vim, then doing a (load "myfile.l") from within SBCL.

It was frustrating trying to find what's available for Mac OS X, but I think this is pretty much it right now (that's free). I have WinXP installed on another partition on my (intel) Mac Mini, but I really didn't feel like using Windows.

-Corby Ziesman

3 comments:

Kartik said...

For Mac OS X PPC version, the Lisp in a Box software is available with both SBCL and CLISP--

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/

For x86, you're right, the one you mentioned seems to be the only reliable freeware for now.

Unknown said...

@kartik:

That link to Lisp in a Box seems to indicate that you can use the Allegra CL (normally expensive) for free once you get a license, for intel Mac OS X.

I've already gotten comfortable just vim/sbcl, so I probably won't try it now. But others might want to see how that works out.

Kartik said...

Hmm I was under the impression that the Allegra CL (even with a license) had stack restrictions and couldn't be used for intensive search problems - perhaps I'm wrong.

Either way, as long as the method you've stated works, its good.