Thursday, December 07, 2006

Some additional comments

Here are some more of the interactive review comments that were emailed that I am redirecting to the blog... (three other comments were directly
added to the blog and can be found at https://beta.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7807789293679070909&postID=1259600912214366833 )

Eventually, with Lei's help, we hope to post a summary description as acquired wisdom.

rao

===================
Srinath Reddy Bodala 
to Subbarao
show details
 Dec 5 (2 days ago) 
Dear Prof,
 
Going straight into the topics I liked the most, I enjoyed adversial search, alpha-beta pruning. I also enjoyed doing the project on building tic-tac-toe program. But there were too many no result games so it was a bit boring there, so may be we should have used more interesting game for the project. I also liked learning various types of logic, working on pattern databases heuristic.
 
Thanks,
Srinath ReddyB. 


==============






 Reply 
Al Welle 
to Subbarao, Lei
show details
 9:20 am (40 minutes ago) 
I found there were many things about AI that I had been mis-informed about before taking the class. Primarily about the usefulness of Neural Networks. I was greatly surprised to see how much better, more efficient and flexible, SVM was compared with Neural Networks.
 
I think I learned a great deal, but I think I either missed or could have learned more by a large factor. I believe that to fully do justice to the material there should be a 3 course sequence for Artificial Intelligence.
 
I was surprised at how little detail we went into regarding the math behind some of the equations. The basic understanding of what the equations do is fairly simple, but the math behind it seems to get exponentially complex for every level of depth you dive into it. (Which is probably why we use a computer to do the math, huh?)
 
I gained some insight into PAC and Bias and how they relate to both my own introspective thought process (I had always thought I kept an open mind and considered alternative theories equally until I had sufficient evidence but now, after having forced myself to actually observe my own thoughts with an eye to bias / logical-leaps I find I make these mistakes much more often than I would originally have believed)
 
I've never loved a class as much while hating it so throughly. The material is fascinating and that's at the level of "just barely indicitive of how useful this could be" but at the same time it's maddening for me to not almost instantly grasp concepts and implementations. I'm not used to having to THINK about a problem for a long time. Even worse I often found myself not being able to fully comprehend something and having to accept that I wasn't going to master the material in a week, or two, or even over the whole course, but would have to keep burning "mental clock cycles" on problems long after the semester ends.
 
For instance in planning I think I have a good idea of "regression planning" and "mutexes" and when graphs level off. But when actually having to explain it I'm reduced to "proof by inspection." .. That is "um, can't you just see that's the answer, cause I'm really not able to draw you a graph in two-dimensions black-and-white with a pencil." 
 
In short "the toughest class you'll ever love to hate" best describes my aqquired wisdom for the course.
 
Apologies for the length,
 
Al

==========================


No comments: